Tractor incidents / hazards are the number one cause of deaths and injuries in agriculture. The College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences has developed a Tractor Safety Policy with equipment and training provisions to enhance the safety of employees who operate tractors. This policy incorporates recognized safe operating practices and reflects OSHA regulations concerning the operation of agricultural tractors. Any employee or student who operates an agricultural tractor as a condition of employment or as a course requirement is subject to this policy.
The Ohio State University CFAES Agricultural Tractor Safety Program applies to all OSU CFAES staff members who operate and/or are responsible for agricultural tractors. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has established rules and guidelines for the protection of workers and facilities relating to agricultural tractors in 29 CFR 1910. General Industry and 29CFR 1928 Occupational Safety and Health Standards for Agriculture.
CFAES Agricultural Tractor Safety Policy and Training Program
OSU Employee Training
The College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences has established a training program that can be accessed via OSU Environmental Health and Safety website. (www.ehs.osu.edu
) The training curriculum is based on National Safe Tractor and Machinery Operation Program content and OSHA training recommendations.
The training is design to be a three step process:
1) on-line training session through the OSU EHS website
2) comprehensive test following the on-line session (70% correct to proceed with the final step)
3) hands – on operator proficiency evaluation by supervisor
To start the Tractor Operator Training (OSU employees / students):
2) Click on “EHS Online Login Page” link.
3) Sign in using your osu.edu login (last name.###). Once you have signed in a new web page should pop up.
4) Click on “EHS Online Training.”
5) You will see a Program Listing bar with a drop down menu labeled “Area” under it.
6) Click on the“Area” drop down menu (under the “Program Listing” bar), and choose the “CFAES” tab. Another drop down menu labeled “Program” will appear next to the one labeled “Area”.
7) Click on the“Program” drop down menu (also under the Program Listing bar) and choose “Tractor Operator Training” tab.
8) Click on “Begin Training Program” in the lower left part of the box to start the training.
9) At the end of the on-line training you will be prompted to take the quiz.
10) Once you have completed and passed the quiz, print off your training report and take it to your supervisor, to go through the operator proficiency check- off portion of the training.
Supervisor note: This training may also be conducted on an individual basis or in a classroom group setting using lecture and discussion. Training materials for supervisors to conduct this training can be obtained from the resources links below or contact the OSU CFAES Safety and Health Coordinator to schedule a training session for your staff. The Tractor Operator Test "Answer Key" in only available by contacting the CFAES Safety and Health Coordinator.
If you have any questions, please contact Kent McGuire (CFAES Safety and Health Coordinator) at email@example.com
or (614) 292-0588. You may also contact the OSU Environmental Health and Safety Office online at http://ehs.osu.edu/
or by phone at (614) 292-1284.
Reviewed / Updated: 8/10/16 K. McGuire