Lisa Pfeifer – OSU Ag Safety and Health Education Coordinator
Back to school is almost a season of its own anymore, one that sneaks in between summer and fall. Those weeks in August bring the familiar sight of aisle after aisle in big box stores dedicated to notebooks, pencils, and glue sticks. Sales signs and flyers appear everywhere. Endless medical forms are delivered via postal service or emailed for parents to complete. Back to school presents the perfect time of year to turn the focus on safety and health preparedness for youth. Listed below are some tips and resources to help put safety first for the start of this school year.
Personal Safety and Security
- Review important names, addresses, and phone numbers.
- Discuss pick-up or bus schedules and alternative/emergency back-up people involved in those plans.
- Update contact information with the school and any after-care provider.
- 9 Tips for Teaching Your Child About Personal Safety --https://www.understood.org/en/learning-attention-issues/understanding-childs-challenges/talking-with-your-child/9-tips-for-teaching-your-child-about-personal-safety - slide-9
- Ohio Department of Education, Teen Stranger Danger -- http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Other-Resources/News/Know-To-Talk-Teen-Stranger-Danger
- Remember traffic and pedestrian patterns change when school is in session.
- Drivers and pedestrians should avoid the distractions of using a mobile device.
- School Bus Safety -- https://www.nsc.org/home-safety/tools-resources/seasonal-safety/back-to-school/bus
- Parent Checklist for Youth Sports Safety -- https://www.atyourownrisk.org/the-role-of-parents/ - parentChecklist
- Concussion information -- https://www.odh.ohio.gov/-/media/ODH/ASSETS/Files/health/injury-prevention/concussion/Attachment-14--Ohio-Return-to-LearnConcussion-Team-Model-Handbook.pdf?la=en
- Sports Safety 101 videos -- https://www.safekids.org/sports-safety-101
- mCORE -- https://mcoreathletes.com/
- Know the required vaccinations to start school and schedule a visit with your child’s pediatrician.
- Recommended Vaccination Schedule -- https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/protecting-children/index.html
- Children and Youth Preparedness Social Media Toolkit from the Department of Homeland Security -- https://www.ready.gov/youth-toolkit