Lisa Pfeifer – OSU Ag Safety and Health Education Coordinator
When the weather outside is frightful, the roadways and travel may not always be so delightful. Remember to plan accordingly as you set out in inclement weather. Safety steps take a little extra time, but they may ultimately help protect you and your loved ones in foul weather.
- Fill antifreeze and windshield washer reservoirs
- Check tire inflation levels and tread depth
- Ensure you set out with a full fuel tank
- Inspect battery condition and charge level at the beginning of the winter season
Check and Restock Emergency Items
- Investigate the condition of the spare tire
- Pack ice scrapers, a flashlight, booster cables, and a phone charger
- Keep a blanket in your car during the winter months
- Locate maps you will need for your trip
- Plan your travel and inform others of your planned arrival and departure times
- Stow you cell phone while driving
- Pull over if you need to check directions or use your phone
- Bring some cash with you
- Assign a designated driver before setting out if anyone will be drinking
For great winter weather resources drop by the official website of the Department of Homeland Security at https://www.ready.gov/winter-weather.
Questions about Emergency Management, visit http://www.agsafety.osu.edu or contact Lisa Pfeifer, OSU Agricultural Safety & Health, at email@example.com or 614-292-9455.