Laura Akgerman, Disability Services Coordinator, Ohio AgrAbility Project
During harvest season farmers spend hours sitting – in combines, trucks, tractors –all that sitting can make you stiff and sore. Next time you are sitting in line at the elevator or waiting on trucks to come back to the field try these stretches to loosen up your neck and shoulders.
Shoulder Circle Shrugs
- Start either in a standing or seated position, sitting upright and hands to your sides.
- Begin by moving your shoulders forward, up, back and down in one continuous circular motion. Shrug 10 times then switch directions and start with your shoulders down and back, and shrug forward.
- Repeat 10 times.
- Start either in a standing or seated position.
- Place right hand on left ear
- Keeping shoulders relaxed, pull your right hand to your right ear until you feel tension on your left side of the neck. Try not to twist your neck or lean your head forward.
- Hold for 10 seconds, then switch hands and stretch the right side of your neck.
Repeat these stretches throughout the day to keep your shoulders and neck from getting stiff and sore.
Please do not do these stretches while you are driving or operating machinery.
For more information, please contact Laura Akgerman, Ohio AgrAbility and OSU Extension Disability Services Coordinator, at Akgerman.email@example.com, or 614-292-0622.