Utility Type Vehicles (UTV) are versatile machines utilized is a variety of agricultural settings. However, UTVs can be dangerous if not operated correctly. The OSU College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences has developed UTV training to enhance the safety of employees who operate a UTV. The training covers the following learning objectives:
• Identify the characteristics and uses of a Utility Type Vehicle (UTV).
• Explain the features and controls of a UTV.
• Discuss the stability and load capacity of a UTV.
• Describe preventative maintenance and pre-operation checks.
• Recognize the hazards associated with operating a UTV.
• Outline safe operating procedures for a UTV.
Any employee or student who operates a UTV as a condition of employment or as a course requirement is subject to this training. Supervisors must also go over the features, controls and safe operation that is specific to the model of UTV being used, prior to the employee operating it for the first time.
The Ohio State University CFAES UTV Safety Training Program applies to all OSU CFAES employees who operate and/or are responsible for UTVs. This includes operation of UTVs at public events such as Farm Science Review. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has established rules and guidelines for the protection of workers and facilities relating to agricultural equipment in 29 CFR 1910. General Industry and 29CFR 1928 Occupational Safety and Health Standards for Agriculture.
CFAES UTV Training Program
Department chairs, facility managers, or supervisors of areas where UTVs are used should review and ensure that employees are provided UTV safety training.
OSU Employee Training
The College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences has established a training program that can be accessed via OSU Environmental Health and Safety website. (www.ehs.osu.edu
) The training curriculum is based on National Safe Tractor and Machinery Operation Program content and OSHA training recommendations.
The On-line training is a three step process:
1) On-line training session through the OSU EHS website
2) Comprehensive test following the on-line session (70% correct to proceed with the final step)
3) Supervisors must go over the controls and safe operation specific to the the model of UTV being used, prior to employee initial use.
To start the UTV Operator Training (OSU employees / students):
2) Cick on the Other content area.
3) Scroll down to locate the Utility Type Vehicle Operator training course and click on "Take this Course".
4) Sign in using your osu.edu login (last name.###).
5) At the end of the on-line training you will be prompted to take the quiz.
6) Once training has been completed, a list your training sessions will be listed under “My Training”.
7) Go over the model specific controls and safe operation with supervisor.
Supervisor note: This training may also be conducted on an individual basis or in a classroom group setting using lecture and discussion. Training materials for supervisors to conduct this training can be obtained from the resources links below or contact the OSU CFAES Safety and Health Coordinator to schedule a training session for your staff.
If you have any questions, please contact Kent McGuire (CFAES Safety and Health Coordinator) at email@example.com
or (614) 292-0588. You may also contact the OSU Environmental Health and Safety Office online at http://ehs.osu.edu/
or by phone at (614) 292-1284.
Reviewed / Updated: 2/23/18 K. McGuire